As I said in previous posts, my intention here is to help you get your business rolling and tell/show you what I did to become successful myself.
I have also talked about how I started out without a penny to spare. SO many people IE: business’s and their apps, have their hand out for your money it can seem impossible, for anyone without a large sum of money set aside, to start an online business! You have the cost of a domain, the cost of a host for your domain, an email program to deal with email, apps you may want to put on your website and the cost of placing ads to get your domain name out there. It’s just overwhelming.
After all that you need some sort of a phone number, besides your home phone, because every single thing listed above, and any single thing you plan on obtaining, requires a phone number! Now-a-days providing your phone number isn’t enough for these entities….they text you to verify that the phone number really works and it is yours before they will let you access the product you need.
Your phone number is not sacred to any of these entities, it’s money in their eyes. Your phone number will be sold to the highest bidder. Now you’ll be getting calls from every Tom, Dick and Harry with something to sell!
Personally, I didn’t/don’t want to give out my phone number to anyone that might sell it or share it. I don’t want advertisers calling me! I get enough ads from the internet, my email, the slide-in ads on my laptop, television and driving down the road. I certainly don’t need them calling me as well!! So how do I get around this without forking out MORE money for a business phone number?
The answer is voice.google.com . I checked out this service that is offered by Google and was very impressed! I use my Google account when I opened voice.google. I’m not sure if you have to have a Google account to use the website, but that’s free as well, so why not!
You don’t use your phone number here. You can create and send text messages and phone calls that go through Google. You can select to have a phone number. It is all FREE!
You have the option to select a phone number for yourself. You just select your city and they offer up several phone numbers. This is really nice because you can select any city you wish and select the phone number you like best. When you select a phone number, it’s yours, just like a regular telephone. You can:
- Make phone calls and the phone number will be displayed.
- Register the phone number as your business phone so it will display your business name with the phone number.
- You can receive phone calls with this phone number.
- If you’re not online when the phone call comes through it will go to a voicemail. When you access the voice.google site again it will have a notation on the left side of the screen by the voicemail icon of how many voicemails you have.
- The voicemail is also transcribed into text message format as well so you don’t have to call the voicemail (by clicking on the icon) you can just read it under the text message icon! There voice recognition system is very accurate.
- When you fill out the various forms online for your business you can use this phone number to verify your account.
- When any entity text messages you to verify your account the text message arrives at your voice.google page and you can enter the code as needed. As a matter of fact one time I used a pay-per-minute phone number and it wouldn’t verify. The website kept saying “Please use a valid phone number”. I put in my Google number and it went through just fine!
- You can select to have phone calls and text messages from your Google number forwarded to your personal phone for convenience!
- If you don’t select a phone number when you make calls it will show an 888 or 800 number as the number your calling from and people can call it back while your online but as soon as your offline the number is of no use.
The other things I jumped on was Google Business, Yelp and Yellow Pages. These are similar to the good old Yellow Pages Directory of days gone by, but these are directories that are online and they are totally Free. They can boost your ad for a price in which you will be guaranteed so many views, but I have not found I needed any boosting.
Google Business has out paced Yelp and Yellow Pages as to business referrals. They also send a full report to your gmail about how your page is doing. This is the actual email from Google about my business. I only marked out my business name and search word queries because my brick & mortar business (which this is a report of) is unrelated to my online business and I don’t want to confuse readers. And the 11 calls to my business, that’s my voice.google number that is forwarded to my phone!
As you can see advertising by the giant Google and a business phone line are both taken care of by these free and reliable services. This is exactly what an entrepreneur on a limited budget needs!
(I will receive nothing for recommending these products listed above. I have no affiliation with Google, Yelp or Yellow Pages in any way shape or form. This is just me sharing what worked for me, to you. Simple advice for nothing. See you can get some things for free!(